"I make a batch of this and keep it in a zip lock bag in the freezer where it can keep for several months, although I usually get through a batch in a few weeks!" Phillippa
Fresh breadcrumb seasoning is so versatile and can be added to many dishes, such as meatball mixes and as crumb toppings on meals for a light crunchy, golden finish.
- 250g bread, diced into 1cm squares
- 1 clove garlic, chopped (optional)
- 50g parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- small handful of parsley leaves, finely chopped
- sprig thyme, finely chopped
- 8 sage leaves, finely chopped
Place the bread, garlic, parmesan, salt and pepper in a food processor and blend for a minute or so until medium breadcrumbs have formed.
Add the herbs and blend for a further 10 seconds.
Use immediately or keep in a sealed plastic container in the fridge for several days. Alternatively, place in a large sealed plastic bag and freeze for up to several months.
- Use your favourite bread or try different breads to see what flavours you enjoy best with different meals.
- Use other fresh herbs, such as oregano, rosemary and basil.
- Sprinkle over vegetables and roast to add a light crunchy element.
- Add a crumb layer on fish, chicken, lentils and vegetable gratins and bake until you get a lovely golden crumb on top.
This recipe is one of many in Phillippa's Home Baking Cookbook.