Lovers of Bread & Butter Puddings will really enjoy these flavoursome Hot Cross Bun & Butter Puddings!
- 115g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 185ml milk
- 500ml cream
- ½ vanilla bean, split & scrape seeds
- Zest of 1 lemon or orange
- 6 Hot Cross Buns (about 100g each)
- 50g currants
- 50gm unsalted butter
- Individual ramekins about 100-150ml each
- Preheat oven 10 120°C
- Mix sugar, eggs, milk, cream, vanilla bean and zest for the custard. Strain through sieve and put in a large jug.
- Slice the buns into three circles, using the top of the buns to make the lid for the ramekins. Cut the bottom third into quarters. Save the middles for toast.
- Butter the ramekins and put 3 or 4 pieces of bun into the bottom of each.
- Divide the currents between the ramekins. Pour custard, leaving about 1cm from the top.
- Push the lids on so that they are covered by the custard and leave for at least half an hour to soak it up (preferably longer). Top up with a little more custard if required. Leave for 20 mins to absorb the custard.
- Place ramekins in a large baking dish half-filled with hot water and bake 60 – 75 minutes until set.
- Serve immediately. Serves 6.